Opera on Sydney Harbour is the ultimate evening experience taking place on the Fleet Steps at Mrs Macquarie’s Point. This visually stunning open-air opera is back for another season with ‘Madama Butterfly’ running from 24 March to 23 April 2023.
Madama Butterfly takes flight on the grand outdoor stage. As night falls and Sydney’s city lights begin to sparkle, experience all the grandeur of open-air opera, with the mesmerising backdrop of the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.
Complete with first-rate dining, pop-up bars and balmy twilight skies – it’s all impeccably capped off by the nightly display of fireworks.
- Show: Madama Butterfly
- Experience the joy and heartache of the world’s most popular opera at the magnificent Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour
- Pop-up bars food and beverages
- Purchase dinner at one of the pop-up bars and restaurants, sip a glass of champagne whilst watching the sunset and the stars begin to twinkle. Take a seat at the water’s edge and immerse yourself in Puccini’s passionate music
- Take your harbourside seating with a stunning view of the famous Sydney skyline
- Be memorised by the monumental set, colourful eye-catching costumes, spectacular dance and an explosion of fireworks
- The show will begin at 7:30pm
- Approximately 2 hours and 45 minutes, including one 35-minute interval
- Located at Fleet Steps, Mrs Macquaries Point, Sydney
- No performance on Good Friday 30 March
- Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour is an open-air and all-weather event. The venue, audience seating, and the stage are completely uncovered. The event is an all-weather experience and Opera Australia is committed to going ahead with a performance of Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour even in doubtful or unfavourable weather conditions. Please come prepared so that you are as comfortable as possible and ready to support the performers, who will carry on singing in the rain. Bring warm and waterproof clothing
- Sydney weather is full of surprises so we recommend that you dress with this in mind and bring warm, weatherproof clothing. Please note that although umbrellas can be brought to the venue, out of consideration for other members of the audience they cannot be used during the performance
- We will only cancel a performance during electrical storms (within 10km radius) or during times of extremely high winds and/or rain. The decision to cancel a performance is not made until 7.30pm or later and a cancellation may be called during the performance. So please plan to travel to the venue for a 7.30pm performance start time even in unfavourable weather conditions.
- In some weather conditions the opera performance may have a delayed start time or be paused for up to 50 minutes at any point throughout the performance, however, most opera will go ahead in rain and will only be cancelled if there are high winds or lightning. Always come prepared
- Handa Opera in Sydney Harbour has wheelchair locations, companion seats and level access seats available.
- Mrs Macquaries Road, leading into the venue, is likely to experience traffic congestion. We highly recommend avoiding this road by catching public transport or parking in surrounding car parks and then catching our free shuttle bus. Or, be delivered right to the Point in style by catching a water taxi
- If you require wheelchair and/or companion seating, please call us prior to making a booking
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of entry
- Please present your voucher or photo ID in exchange for your ticket from the venue box office at Mrs Macquarie’s Chair 1-hour prior to the performance start time
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher