Embark on a Red Centre adventure with this scenic, adventurous and exciting three-day tour departing Ayers Rock Resort. Over three days, you’ll visit a number of world-famous, historic and scenic destinations in the Northern Territory including the iconic Uluru and Kings Canyon.
The three-day itinerary begins in the afternoon with an introductory base tour around the world-famous monolith, Ayers Rock. With the help of a local driver/guide, you’ll be able to learn all about the history of the region including that of the traditional land owners, the Anangu people, and admire and learn about the flora and fauna that lives in the National Park. This tour includes a guided walk to Mutitjulu Waterhole, a journey to see ancient rock art sites and a visit to Uluru-Kata Tuta Cultural Centre.
As the sun begins to set, you’ll then make your way to the popular viewing platform to watch the sky turn into hues of orange and pink and the light fades on this giant attraction. The option exists for passengers to purchase a barbecue dinner to be enjoyed as the sunsets on day one.
Day two begins with an early rise to watch the sunrise over this beautiful setting. The journey to the viewing point will treat you to panoramic views of Kata Tjuta’s southern side. From here, the tour will visit Wapa Gorge before venturing onto Kings Canyon for the evening.
On day three of this guided tour, you’ll embark on a climb to the canyon rim to take in incredible views of Watarrka National Park. The climb is quite challenging, so those who aren’t wanting to exert themselves or don’t have the fitness required can enjoy the base walk of the canyon to get a closer look at the local flora and fauna.
The day concludes with a journey to Alice Springs where you’ll say goodbye to your driver/guide at around 7 pm and continue your own Red Centre journey.
Please note tour is currently suspended until 15 July 2021
- 3 Day Uluru and Kings Canyon Unearthed Tour departing Ayers Rock
- Wine and canapés (day 1)
- Tea, coffee, hot chocolate and biscuits (day 2)
- Local Kings Canyon guide (day 3)
- Uluru Barbecue Dinner (if option has been selected)
- Select option: no accommodation, budget, standard or superior accommodation
- Return airport transfers (provide flight information at the time of booking)
- Uluru – Kata Tjuta National Park Ticket
- Experienced driver guides
- Informative and detailed commentary
- Air-conditioned coach
- Uluru Barbecue Dinner – $154 per adult, $139 per concession and $7 per child
- After sunset, you will be transferred to an exclusive barbecue site within the Uluru National Park. When you arrive at the site you will be served a variety of Australian meats and salads, accompanied by a glass of sparkling wine, beer or orange juice. After dinner you will be served coffee, tea and dessert and there’s time for stargazing
- Budget Accommodation – Outback pioneer Hotel (day 1), Kings Canyon Resort, Standard Rooms (day 2)
- Standard Accommodation – Desert Gardens Hotel (day 1), Kings Canyon Resort, Standard Rooms (day 2)
- Superior Accommodation – Sails in the Desert Hotel (day 1), Kings Canyon Resort, Deluxe Spa Rooms (day 2)
Note: there is a pool closure for Sails in the Desert until 31 March 2022. Guests will have the option to move to the Desert Gardens (subject to availability) or utilise the pool at Desert Gardens
- On Arrival at the airport you will be transferred to your hotel on board an AAT Kings coach (flights to arrive prior to 1.30pm)
- In the afternoon travel around the base of Uluru with a local Driver Guide
- Learn about the native flora, fauna and intriguing cultural traditions of traditional owners, the Anangu, and discover an array of fascinating sacred sites
- Explore a number of caves and view Aboriginal rock paintings as your Guide interprets their meaning
- Visit Uluru – Kata Tjuta Cultural Centre where you can purchase some locally made Aboriginal art and learn more about the Western Desert region
- Travel to the sunset viewing, ‘Sunset Strip’ and relax with a glass of sparkling wine and nibbles as the sun sets over the western horizon
- Optional Extra: After sunset, you will be transferred to an exclusive barbecue site within the Uluru National Park where you will enjoy a BBQ dinner accompanied by a selection of wines, beers and softdrinks
- Rise early to watch the first rays of the sun set Uluru and the Red Centre alight
- Travel to the mystical domes of Kata Tjuta (the Olgas). On the way enjoy panoramic views of the southern side of Kata Tjuta before arriving at the base of Walpa Gorge
- Spend time exploring the gorge and the unusual conglomerate rock formations and then in the afternoon travel to Kings Canyon
- This morning join your Driver Guide for the rocky climb to the canyon rim for superb views of Watarrka National Park (for those with a good level of fitness)
- Alternatively explore the canyon creek bed, for an easier, shady walk
- Travel through the desert to Alice Springs, where your short break concludes
- Day 1 – Tour departs daily from Ayers Rock Resort (April – October) at 2:30pm and (November – March) at 3.00pm
- Day 2 – Tour returns to Alice Springs 7.00pm (October – March) and 7:30pm (April – September)
What To Bring
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Sunglasses, hat and sunscreen
- Water bottle to hold 1 litre, or 3 litres for those choosing to do the Kings Canyon rim walk
- Jacket in the cooler months
- Please provide flight details at the time of booking (it’s advised your flight arrives prior to 1:30pm) for return airport transfers
- As this Short Break concludes after 7.00pm, it is recommended to pre-book accommodation for that night
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of tour
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher