This tour showcases some of real outback experience. We head inland to some of the remote townships Queensland has to offer. We explore the history of the region from Dinosaurs, Gems to Cowboys and all that is inbetween.
Enjoy the comforts of a medium size boutique bus and small passengers numbers and a tour guide with a yarn of his own.
We use small buses which makes a good personalized tour.
- Eungella Rainforest Walk
- Best place to view a north Queensland Platypus
- Spotlighting nocturnal animals in the rainforest
- Sleep in Australia’s largest rainforest
- Commentary on the culture of the Australian Aboriginal
- Fossicking for Sapphires, Opals and Gold
- Australian Stockman’s Hall of fame
- Cobb & Co stage coach ride
- Qantas museum
- Camden Park working cattle and sheep station
- Paddle wheeler Sunset and dinner cruise
- Australian Age of Dinosours Museum
- Waltzing Matilda Centre
- Heritage listed ghost town
Day 1 – Let the journey begin with Australia’s largest Rainforest
We will pickup at Mackay airport or train station. We head up the Pioneer Valley to Eungella passing the small sugar cane towns, stopping at the Pinnacle Pub for a refreshment break. Leaving there we head up the Great Dividing Range to Eungella Chalet, for spectacular scenery. That afternoon we go to Broken River Mountain Resort nestled in Australia largest rain forest. There are rainforest walks beside the resort, which has the best viewing of Platypus in the World. After Dinner we go spot lighting nocturnal animals in the rainforest.
Day 2 – Lets try a little fossicking
On our way to Barcaldine we will try our hand at fossicking for sapphires in the heart of the Gemfields, Rubyvale.
We then venture through to the country town of Barcaldine home to the Tree of Knowledge, the reputed birth place of the labour movement in Australia and the location of the first Australian Shearer strike.
The Tree of Knowledge grew outside the Railway Station for about 180 years until 2006 when sadly, it was poisoned by an unknown culprit. The famous tree has been preserved and placed under an award winning structure that gives the illusion of a canopy over the Tree. The best view of the Tree and the memorial is at night when it is beautifully lit by special lighting. A visit at night will be a highlight of your trip.
Breakfast and Dinner
Day 3 & 4 – Longreach – the real outback
Experience some of the iconic treasures Longreach has to offer.
- Cobb & Co stage coach ride – Live the past with all your senses as you ride the old Longreach-Windorah mail route. Hear the pounding hooves of the magnificent horses on the outback dirt road. Hear the rattle and creak of the coach. Hold on to your hat for the only stagecoach gallop in Australia!
- Thompson River Sunset cruise with a campfire dinner on the paddle wheeler – Board the only paddlewheeler west of the Great Divide and enjoy an adventure to the heart of outback tradition and legend. Ashore we enjoy a traditional stockman’s camp-fire dinner. This is the real outback experience with inspiring and humorous traditional entertainment featuring the barefoot bush poet.
- Qantas Museum – The museum tells the story of Australia’s national airline, from its early days in Outback Queensland to present day. Characters of the early Qantas days, their pioneering spirit and the impact the airline had for all Australians, is brought to life through life size exhibits, historical artefacts and interactive displays including the National Heritage Listed Qantas Hangar.
- The Australians Stockman’s hall of fame live show – Wonder through the themed galleries, each one depicting an important aspect of our pioneering history. Then bring the experience to life with a Stockman’s life live show.
- Camden Park working cattle and sheep station – Meet Outback Dan who will show you the old swaggies grave, tour the solar farm, shearing shed, muster the livestock whilst checking on the artesian water and Chinamen’s well. Retreat at 2 tree hill for some nomadic nibbles and drinks before heading to the cooks cottage, where you will meet another Walker family member for some wagyu steak, potatoes, beans and salad followed by the outback’s best sticky date pudding.
On the odd occasion some experiences above may swap days. This is the outback after all and we will work in with her schedule.
Breakfast and Dinner
Day 5 – Winton – the dinosaur capital of Australia
Explore the regions highlights
- Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton, Outback Queensland tells the story of Waltzing Matilda, a song that lives in the hearts of all Australians as our unofficial anthem and the first museum in the world dedicated to a song.
- The Australian Age of Dinosaurs Museum is home to the largest collection of Australian dinosaur fossils in the world. Enjoy a guided tour experience and a BBQ Dinner
Breakfast and Dinner
Day 6 – Hughenden and Charters Towers
Enjoy lunch in Hughenden, a relaxed small town with a smile and a friendly wave on every corner.
We take a historical walking tour in Charters Towners and visit the miners cottage and learn how to pan for gold.
Enjoy Drinks and nibbles at sunset on Tower hill over looking the beautiful Charters Towers
Day 7 – Now lets try a little gold mining
Waking up to the smell of gold ….. that is todays adventure.
First on todays agenda, our visit to the Venus gold Battery which offers an insight into the incredible Australian Gold Rush of the late 1870’s
Take a tour of Ravenswood, a heritage listed ghost town, a national trust treasure, it was once a thriving gold mining town. Today it is a beautifully preserved, virtual ghost town with a couple of pubs, a general store and some small businesses. In the boom era the town had over 50 pubs and a population of over 5,000. Ravenswood is worth exploring. The mullock heaps, the old shafts, the chimneys, the rusting machinery and the historic buildings.
We will enjoy lunch at the Railway Hotel, built in 1901, and hopefully be graced by the presence of some unseen locals then off we go to the coastal town of Townsville
Breakfast and Lunch
Day 8 – Highlights of Townsville
Tour this beautiful region and her highlights such as Castle Hill and The Strand, before meeting your flight home.
A tropical Experience.
A 5 day / 4 night tropical adventure from Magnetic Island to the beautiful Whitsunday Islands.
Explore tropical islands, snorkel fringing reefs and relax on beautiful Beaches.
Wave your mouse below and click for more information