DAY 1 – HOBART TO STRAHAN
8:30am Hotel pickup in Hobart
Take a scenic drive through Derwent Valley and visit antique shops in New Norfolk, with a stop in historic Hamilton for local produce at Jackson emporium.
Visit and experience Tarraleah an historic hydro electric town and watch the water flow uphill and marvel at the continuously changing sculpture of Huon pine at The Wall.
Stretch the legs with a 30 minute walk through forest to Nelson Falls, before taking on the famous downhill road from Gormanston to Queenstown. Take a tour through the West Coast Wilderness Railway and then tackle the 99 bends from Queenstown to Strahan. Enjoy on a stroll the post card esplanade of Strahan Village.
Lunch: Recommended at The Wall. (At own cost)
Dinner: We recommend Bushman’s Restaurant at Strahan Village
Accommodation: Strahan Village, hilltop terrace, breakfast included.
DAY 2 – STRAHAN TO CRADLE MOUNTAIN
8:00am Meet at Spirit of the Wild – Gordon River Cruise
Voyage across Macquarie Harbour and feel the power of the Southern Ocean at Hells Gates and explore Sarah Island. Glide past ancient rainforests and admire the perfect reflections of the Gordon River. Walk ashore to see the 2000 year old Huon Pine. Enjoy the local food and beverage served in the Premium Upper Deck of the new RACT Spirit of the Wild boat.
Pass through operational mining towns such as Rosebery and across the picturesque Lake Tullah, full of trout in the season, to overnight in Cradle Mountain National Park to experience the incredible World Heritage Area. Evening time in Cradle Mountain to relax and explore at your own pace. Tasmanian native animals hide during the day and come out during the evening. Opportunities to see Wombats, Wallabies, Kangaroos, Possums and Quolls. After 5pm is the best time to be in Cradle Mountain – the area comes alive.
Lunch: On the Spirit of the Wild included
Dinner: There’s limited options in Cradle Mountain. We recommend Altitude Restaurant Cradle Mountain Hotel. (At own cost)
Accommodation: Cradle Mountain Hotel, standard room breakfast included.
DAY 3 – CONTINUE ON THE 5 DAYS IN TASMANIA TOUR
What to bring
The weather can be unpredictable in Tasmania and the evenings can be very cold. Warm jackets, a beanie and gloves are whole-heartedly recommended.
Solid walking shoes that you can comfortably walk for hours in. We are commonly on unpaved hiking trails.
Cameras & phone chargers – there are so many photo opportunities. Tasmania is stunningly beautiful and you’d hate to miss that instagram opportunity.
A healthy enthusiasm for a lot of fun and amazing experiences and some of the best local produce you will taste.
Terms and conditions
All times are approximate and dependant upon conditions. All tours are subject to weather conditions and Great Expeditions take no responsibility for any cancellations, road or tour closures out of our control. We will wherever possible arrange alternate routes, tours and experiences for guests.
– Accommodation in Hobart at guest own expense on first and last night. All other accommodation has been booked within the constraints of the hotel availability and bedding configuration.
– All tasting fees and entrance fees are included (unless they are additional options and those additional costs will be advised).
– All other meals are at guests own expense. Excluding breakfast where noted.
– Dietary requirements are catered for with prior notice.
– Private tours are flexible if small group has specific requirements.
– Air conditioned, small vehicle transfers.
– FULL PAYMENT IS REQUIRED 14 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.
– FOR ALL BOOKINGS MADE WITH GREAT EXPEDITIONS THE FOLLOWING PENALTIES APPLY:
– FOR ALL CANCELLATIONS A 15% ADMIN FEE WILL BE CHARGED ON TOTAL TOUR AMOUNT
– FOR CANCELLATIONS BETWEEN 2-14 DAYS A 50% CANCELLATION PENALTY APPLIES ON TOTAL TOUR AMOUNT
– FOR CANCELLATIONS WITH LESS THAN 48 HOURS NOTICE OR “NO SHOW” A 100% CANCELLATION PENALTY APPLIES ON TOTAL TOUR AMOUNT.
* FOR ALL TOURS THAT INCLUDE ACCOMMODATION, CANCELLATION CHARGES WILL BE AS PER ACCOMMODATION PREMISE CANCELLATION POLICY.