In one of the most multicultural countries in the world, Australian’s take pride in embracing a vibrant and culturally diverse food scene.
What comes to mind and appearing in most polls for Australia’s National dish is roast lamb, BBQ, Fish (‘n chips) Tim Tams, Vegemite and then the debate kicks off with which country on what side of the Tasman can lay claim to Lamingtons and Pavlova.
We know that food itself creates a wonderful connection with time, geography, traditions, storytelling, and understanding people and their culture.
Our hungry minds have become intrigued with indigenous cuisine, with growing recognition for the tremendous nutritional value and interesting recipe range using Australia’s native food.
Food provenance, promoting local sustainable produce, and superfood trends have created a specific interest in Australia’s Native and “Bush Tucker” food.
Otao Kitchen expert chefs in sharing their love of creating delicious food are excited to explore the native Australian fruits, herbs and seeds and animal sources such as Kakadu Plum, Quandong, Finger Lime, Wattleseed, Lemon Myrtle, Mountain Pepper, Bush plums, Kangaroo and Fish.
Food that provided abundance, nutrition and diversity as a food and medicine source for Aboriginals for tens of thousands of years!
Otao Kitchen in Going Native Australia recognises some of Australia’s true local sustainable foods using flavourful ingredients for you to prepare and share a 3-course meal. This is a unique cooking and dining experience where you will have a deeper understanding of the amazing value of Native Food to your health, the environment and of course their delicious culinary uses and wide array of recipes.
ON THE DAY
- This hands-on finger food making experience lasts for two and half hours
- Enjoy a complimentary refresher drink on arrival
- Demonstration and learn how to prepare favourite Australia produce
- Cook and plate up your dishes
- Sit and eat together at the end with a glass of locally made wine or beer
- Smoked Kangaroo Tenderloin or Lamb Racks Salad
- Murray Cod or Barramundi Steamed in Banana Leaf
- Damper ‘Flatbread’ with Mountain Pepper
- Bush Foods Cooking is a perfect cooking class for your Christmas Party, Birthday party, Anniversary, Hens Party, Bucks Party, Team Building Cooking, Work lunch and dinner or Corporate event. Speak to us, so we can work out whether your venue is suitable. Travel costs and charges may apply.
- We can cater to different dietary requirements – please let us know by email [email protected]
- If you need to cancel or reschedule a booking, you will need to email [email protected] You must do this at least 7 days before your class to cancel or reschedule. We are sorry that we cannot refund or rebook any cancellations made online or in-person after this time.
- In the event that you are unwell, we ask that you send someone in your place. The participants who are not unwell will still be expected to attend. Alternatively, if you provide notice prior to the class, you are welcome to collect the ingredients and online recipe to take home with you after the class. Please note that this may not be possible as fresh meats and seafood in all cases, and you should call 0408 217 899 to check with the chef team. This cannot be organised via email.
- Lateness: please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled start time of the class. We cannot accommodate or refund for those who arrive after the scheduled start time, even if you call ahead. The instructor will be expected to start on time and will not be able to repeat the health and safety and/or demonstrations at the beginning of the class.
- Read more of our FAQs and booking terms.
RJ Frazzzled . 2021
A fantastic night at Otao Kitchen, a comprehensive and well put together evening of good food and great knowledge of the ingredients being used. Would highly recommend for any level of cooking or food lover!