Victoria’s Sovereign Hill allows visitors to take a journey into the gold rush period of the 1800s, featuring an authentically-recreated town and plenty to see. Set out over an expansive 25 hectare area, it’s like stepping back in time as the town features craftsmen at work, over 50 majestic horses including Clydesdales, a variety of demonstrations and shows throughout the day and much more. With a ticket to Sovereign Hill, you can find yourself panning for real gold, witness musket firing, see boiled lollies being made, see wheels, candles, and other goods being made, and learn about the history of the early colonial and Gold Rush times that brought a huge amount of immigration to this region of Victoria.
A wonderfully authentic and high-quality introduction to early Aussie history all a short distance from the actual Eureka site; that’s Sovereign Hill in a nutshell. With over 18 scheduled activities happening throughout the day, there’s something to interest all ages at Sovereign Hill – so grab your entry tickets online here today.
Sovereign Hill is located around a 90 minute drive from Melbourne CBD and is open daily (except Christmas Day) from mid morning.
Currently unavailable to book until further notice.
- Entry to Sovereign Hill
- Transport from Melbourne, you will need to make your own way to Sovereign Hill, Ballarat, a comfortable 90 minute drive from the Melbourne CBD
- Diggings Tour – Explore Life on the Early Goldfields – Explore life on the Early Goldfields
- Red Hill Mine Tour – Discover the dark, dangerous whorl of deep lead mining and witness the discovery of the famous welcome nugget
- Gold panning – It’s real gold. There’s plenty to find and it’s yours to keep
- Musket Firing – Our trooper will tell you about law and order on the goldfields and then show you how to load and fire a musket
- Street Theatre – A program of entertaining vignettes illustrating life the goldfields
- Sweet Making – Discover how our boiled lollies are made in the traditional way
- Gold Pour – Pure gold is melted to 1,000 C and poured into a mould to create $140,000 Gold Ingot
- Coach Rides – Tour the town and digging by horse and coach
- Redcoat Soldiers – Watch our soldiers parade and fire a volley of shots with their muskets
- Gold Mine Tour – Three fully guided underground adventures into the world of 19th century mining
- Steam Powered Machinery – Massive boilers produce steam to driver heavy mining machinery
- Candlemaking – Watch our 19th century style candle factory in action
- Candle Dipping – See 19th Century candlemaking machines at work and buy the kids a candle to dip
- Metal Spinning – See Goldpans and Brassware spun on steam-driven lathes
- Bowling – Set up the skittles and try your hand at 9 pin bowling
- Back to School – Try writing with a dip pen and ink in our goldfields school
- Wheelwrighting – Watch our skilled craftsmen make a hub and spokes, and then assemble a coach wheel
- Golden Treasures – Discover the story of Ballarat and an impressive collection of gold nuggets
- Sovereign Hill is open daily except Christmas Day (25th December) from 10am to 5pm.
- Sovereign Hill is a comfortable 90 minute drive from the Melbourne CBD along the Western Highway (or only an hour from Melbourne Airport). Once in Ballarat, follow the brown and white tourist signs to Sovereign Hill
- General Admission tickets are NOT valid during Winter Wonderlights (June 27 – July 19 2020).
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! – Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements