The West MacDonnell Ranges in the Northern Territory is one of the most popular day trip destinations in the region. Departing Alice Springs, this full day tour takes you to a number of the region’s best destinations and sites for the whole day aboard a comfortable coach.
With the help of an experienced guide, you’ll be able to explore the region on foot and snap photos of popular attractions including Standley Chasm (entry included), Ellery Creek Big Hole, the Ochre Pits, Ormiston Gorge and Glen Helen Gorge. With impressive site after impressive site, this day tour is one of the most scenic options travelling through this popular region.
Throughout the day, you’ll also be treated to morning tea and a delicious Ploughman’s lunch including a drink of beer, wine or soft drink. Keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife as you journey around the ranges on this ultimate outback experience.
Tours depart Alice Springs on a daily basis at 8 am and return at 5:30 pm meaning you’ll have a full day to explore this rugged and beautiful destination.
- Full day tour
- Hotel transfers
- Expert commentary
- Air-conditioned coach
- Entrance to Standley Chasm
- Morning tea
- Ploughman’s lunch with beer, wine or soft drink
- Guided walks
- Head west on Larapinta Drive alongside the ochre coloured West MacDonnells
- Pass John Flynn Memorial at the foot of the Mt Gillen
- The remains of the twin ghost gums painted by Albert Namatjira.
- Continue to Standley Chasm – a striking deep red cleft that glows with reflected sunlight
- Walk into the Chasm along the Angkerle Creek bed
- Enjoy morning tea at Standley Chasm
- Ellery Creek Big Hole – take a short walk along a creek bed to the cool waterhole below a steep rocky escarpment
- Stop at the Orchre Pits
- Visit Glen Helen Gorge – a semi-permanent waterhole
- Enjoy a ploughman’s lunch with beer, wine or soft drink
- Visit Ormiston Gorge and waterhole for a ploughman’s lunch
- Time to relax at the waterhole
- A refreshing swim may be possible depending on the time of year
- Make a stop at Simpsons Gap – rich ochre coloured rock walls rising from a sandy creek bed
- Look for black-footed Rock Wallabies along the rocky base
- Look for eagles, kytes and falcons soaring in the thermal currents above the West MacDonnells
- Perhaps meet a local lizard
- Tours depart daily at 8am and return at 5.30pm
- 9.5 hours
What To Bring
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Bottled water
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the tour
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher