Begin your journey to Tiwi Island with a scenic ferry ride to Bathurst Island departing the Cullen bay Ferry Terminal. After your ferry ride, a local guide will take you on a journey through the fascinating lifestyles of the Tiwi Island’s people. Visit a museum with displays of traditional indigenous art and depictions of the Tiwi ‘Dreamtime’ stories, a unique Tiwi style Catholic Church, arts and crafts centres and enjoy some billy tea and damper with some Tiwi ladies for morning tea.
Locals will demonstrate totem dancing and will perform a smoking ceremony, before you head out on a scenic drive through the Bathurst Island wilderness. As if you haven’t already learnt enough about this amazing community, you will also learn about traditional bush tucker and bush medicines to complete your visit to the Tiwi Islands.
There aren’t any accommodation transfers included in this tour, so guests are to make their own way to the Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal by 7:30am to depart at 8am and return at 7:30pm. If you were looking for a complete Aboriginal Cultural experience not far from Darwin, then book this tour online today.
- Return ferry to Bathurst Island departing Darwin
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Experienced driver/guide
- Morning tea
- Hotel pick ups and drops offs – you will need to make your own way to the Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal
- Ferry Crossing to Bathurst Island
- Morning Tea with the Tiwi Ladies
- The Museum
- Arts and crafts co-operatives
- Lookout and burial site
- Tours depart on Thursday and Friday (May, September and October) and Monday, Thursday and Friday (June-August)
- Tour does not operate from November – April
- Check-in commences at 7:30am for 8:00am departure
- Please note there are no hotel pick ups for this tour, you will need to make your own way to the Cullen Bay Ferry Terminal
What To Bring
- Comfortable shoes
- Insect repellent – cream or lotion (non aerosol)
- A reasonable level of fitness is required
- The roads can be dusty, not a place for your best clothes
- Companion card holders are entitled to a 50% discount, however the companion card must be presented at time of travel to validate. Please contact the tour operator directly to book in for your companion passenger. Once the booking has been made you will be sent a voucher with the tour operators details attached