In the early hours of 7 December 1942 Japan launched a surprise attack on Pearl Harbour crippling the US Fleet. 2 days later Australia declared war on Japan. Already drained by two years of war with Germany, and with her best forces committed in the Mediterranean, Australia turned to face a new threat as the might of Imperial Japanese forces began their advance through the Pacific. Invasion seemed imminent.
Our 2-hour walking tour will lead you through the Forts Complex on Magnetic Island. You will learn how and why Townsville became one of the largest airfields in the Pacific Theatre. You will discover how the forts were built and operated and walk in the footsteps of the men and women who operated the defences.
Be rewarded with breathtaking views all along the route. There is a good chance you will spot a Koala or two. Come and see for yourself why this is the most popular walking trail on the island
- Pickup from Nelly Bay Terminal or meet at Forts Carpark
- Tour departs 2 days per week, April to October.
- Price includes your National Parks Site Use fee
- Tour operates under National Parks Permit: CAP18-001367
- Online booking fee applies