If you’re visiting Adelaide and looking to interact with the amazing sea life and creatures, then embark on a Southern Ocean adventure from Victor Harbor with a Wildlife and Whale Discovery Tour.
The coveted Duck Ship departs from the Granite Island Causeway and motors its way to the northern side of Granite island, revealing exceptional views of the Victor Harbour shoreline. The next point of interest is Seal Rock, where passengers can watch the New Zealand Fur Seals and Australian Sea Lions basking in the sunshine as they flip and flop into the ocean – don’t be surprised if their friendly demeanour inclines them to swim up to the boat for a quick hello.
While continuing towards Wright Island and the Bluff, your tour-guide will provide exceptional commentary on the whaling history of the area.
Past the Bluff is West Island, home to a conservation park where resides a series of unique Seabirds such as the Cormorant, Shearwater, and Petrel. While motoring past the West Island, keep your eyes peeled for the Common and Bottlenose dolphins dipping and diving into the ocean.
After 90-minutes, the Big Duck returns to the Granite Island Causeway terminus after viewing the spectacular cliffs of Kings Beach and Waitpinga.
The Wildlife and Whale Discovery Tour is a must-do experience when visiting Adelaide.
- 90 minute Wildlife and Whale Adventure Cruise
- See seals, sea lions, dolphins and whales (in season)
- Transfers from Adelaide
- Depart from the Granite Island Causeway and cruise between the mainland and the northern side of Granite Island
- Spectacular views of both the Victor Harbor shoreline and the island
- Seal Rock, where New Zealand Fur Seals and Australian Sea Lions bask in the sun between fishing forays and swimming out to the boat for a sticky-beak
- Pass the huge granite boulders of Wright Island and the Bluff, with Shark Alley in between where your guide talks about the whaling history of the area
- West Island is a Conservation Park, complete with a research hut used by the universities and park rangers
- Colony of seals and sea lions can be found basking on the rocks and swimming in the shallows
- Seabirds abound in this remote area and often pods of Common and Bottlenose Dolphins can be spotted playing or feeding
- Head further west past the darkly spectacular cliffs of Kings Beach and Waitpinga
- Tour departs all year round
- Tours depart at 11am and 2pm from the Main Wharf, 1 Esplanade, Victor Harbour SA
- Please arrive 20 minutes prior to departure
What To Bring
- Normal weather-appropriate clothing is fine
- Waterproof jackets are provided on board the boat
- The Big Duck Boat Tour routes are dependent on weather conditions and locations of wildlife and are subject to change because of this
- During winter months Southern Right and Humpback whales can sometimes be spotted along the coastline
- Winter tours take the Whale Watching Tour route when the whales are in the vicinity of Port Elliot
- The tour is dependent on weather conditions and locations of wildlife and are subject to change because of this
- The boat is not wheelchair accessable
- Not recommended for pregnant women
- Minimum age is 2 years
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- Mobile Vouchers are accepted! – Vouchers can also be presented on your mobile device for this attraction
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements