Share in a piece of Victoria’s history with an iconic railway journey through the Dandenong Ranges on the Puffing Billy steam train. The scenic journey will take passengers through the tranquil rainforest, fern gullies and towering Mountain Ash trees along a 24km track from Belgrave to Gembrook and back.
Feel the wind in your hair as you cruise through the ranges on the open carriage railway while you take in the sights and listen to commentary about the local region. This is an experience for the children, parents, grandparents and railway enthusiasts who will all love taking a ride through Victoria’s history. Be sure to pre-book online as Puffing Billy tickets are in demand.
- Puffing Billy Railway is required to record the contact details for all guests to ensure contact tracing can be conducted in the event of a coronavirus case being detected. Records are kept electronically for 28 days, before being destroyed. Please ensure you provide the names and contact details of everyone in your party in the Booking Notes section at checkout
- Return train fare from Belgrave Station to Gembrook Station
- Dinner train experiences
- Food and beverages
- See the scenic vistas of the iconic Dandenong Ranges on board
- Feel the wind in your hair traveling in our heritage open sided carriages
- Step back in time to a bygone era and experience an unforgettable part of Victorian history
- An authentic heritage steam train experience, established in the 1900’s and still running 119 years later
- Engage with knowledgeable and passionate volunteers who help run the railway
- Travel over four historic timber trestle bridges during your journey along Puffing Billy’s original mountain track
- 11 am SUNDAY Departure from Belgrave to Gembrook and return trip departs Gembrook at 2.45 pm. Arrives Belgrave at 4.50 pm.
- Timetables are subject to change
- Belgrave Station: 1 Old Monbulk Road, Belgrave, VIC, 3160
- Lakeside Station: Emerald Lake Park – Emerald Lake Road, Emerald, VIC, 3782
- Due to the heritage nature of the carriages, only folding or narrow prams can be accommodated through the narrow carriage doors.
- Guide/Assistant dogs are the only dogs permitted on the train
- Puffing Billy has gone cashless. Visitors must bring their bank card on the day to make contactless payments
For safety reasons, passengers must abide by the following regulations:
- Do not stand, walk or sit on the railway tracks.
- Stand at least 1 metre from the edge of the platform at all times.
- Do not open any carriage doors. Please allow the train conductors to open and close
your carriage door.
- Carriage doors must remain closed while the train is moving.
- Only enter and exit the train from the station platform.
- Do not touch or climb onto the locomotive, as parts of it are hot.
- Smoking is not permitted on the train, platforms or under any roofed areas
- Cancellations within 24 hours of the confirmed train departure, or failure to arrive for the departure, will result in a 100% loss of the ticket price.
- Whilst every attempt is made to honour all bookings, the operator reserves the right to alter events, timetables or locomotives without prior notice
- Trains and events will NOT be cancelled due to inclement weather
- On declared days of TOTAL FIRE BAN in the Central Zone or the whole State of Victoria, steam locomotives will not run, instead the train will be operated with a diesel locomotive
- On declared Fire Danger Rating days of Extreme or Code Red in the Central Zone or the whole State of Victoria, the operator will close with no trains running
- Should the operator be unable to run this train or an event, they will endeavour to transfer your booking to another date. However, if this is not possible, a full refund will be given. In this instance, they will notify you of the cancellation by email and/or phone as soon as possible
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present it on day of the
experience. We also accept digital copies presented on a mobile device.
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking, however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- If you are travelling in a wheelchair, there are limited wheelchair spaces available onboard our heritage carriages. Please call Puffing Billy’s Customer Service Centre prior to travelling so that we can assist you in accommodating your needs.
- Whilst every attempt is made to honour all bookings, PBR reserves the right to alter menu, events, timetables or locomotives without prior notice. Where selected advertised items cannot be secured or are out of stock, an item close to the original product will be provided