All aboard the Puffing Billy for a relaxing journey through the Dandenong Ranges from Lakeside to Gembrook on the heritage steam train. Experience a piece of Victorian history as you travel along the original mountain track taking the sights. The experience is great for families and railway enthusiasts alike who will be taken from the Wright Forest to the rich farmlands of Gembrook.
The Puffing Billy operates 364 days a year (depending on weather conditions) and is a must-do experience in Victoria. Get your tickets online here.
- Puffing Billy Railway is required to record the contact details for all guests to ensure contact tracing can be conducted in the event of a coronavirus case being detected. Records are kept electronically for 28 days, before being destroyed. Please ensure you provide the names and contact details of everyone in your party in the Booking Notes section at checkout
- Return train fare from Lakeside Station to Gembrook Station
- Dinner train experiences
- Food and beverages
- See the scenic vistas of the iconic Dandenong Ranges on board
- Feel the wind in your hair traveling in our heritage open sided carriages
- Step back in time to a bygone era and experience an unforgettable part of Victorian history
- An authentic heritage steam train experience, established in the 1900’s and still running 119 years later
- Engage with knowledgeable and passionate volunteers who help run the railway
- Travel over four historic timber trestle bridges during your journey along Puffing Billy’s original mountain track
- 12.15 pm SUNDAY Departure from Lakeside to Gembrook and return trip departs Gembrook at 2.45 pm. Arrives Lakeside at 3.20 pm.
- Timetable changes seasonally
- Lakeside Station: Emerald Lake Park – Emerald Lake Road, Emerald, VIC, 3782
- Please note, the mandatory wearing of masks is subject to change by the Victorian Government and visitors will be expected to adhere to the rules that are in place at the time.
- Puffing Billy Railway is required to record the contact details for all guests to ensure contact tracing can be conducted in the event of a coronavirus case being detected. Records are kept electronically for 28 days, before being destroyed
- Passengers will always need to travel on a return journey. The ‘open return journey’ means that on the day of your travel, you can select which train you return back to Belgrave on. There is a set return time from Gembrook to both Lakeside and Belgrave
- Due to the heritage nature of the carriages, only folding or narrow prams can be accommodated through the narrow carriage doors
- Guide/Assistant dogs are the only dogs permitted on the train
- Please note there is a council operated ticket machines in the car park charging a $6 flat
For safety reasons, passengers must abide by the following regulations:
- Do not stand, walk or sit on the railway tracks.
- Stand at least 1 metre from the edge of the platform at all times.
- Do not open any carriage doors. Please allow the train conductors to open and close
your carriage door.
- Carriage doors must remain closed while the train is moving.
- Only enter and exit the train from the station platform.
- Do not touch or climb onto the locomotive, as parts of it are hot.
- Smoking is not permitted on the train, platforms or under any roofed areas
- Cancellations within 24 hours of the confirmed train departure, or failure to arrive for the departure, will result in a 100% loss of the ticket price.
- Whilst every attempt is made to honour all bookings, the operator reserves the right to alter events, timetables or locomotives without prior notice
- Trains will NOT be cancelled due to inclement weather
- On declared days of TOTAL FIRE BAN in the Central Zone or the whole state of Victoria, steam locomotives will not run, instead the train will be operated with a diesel locomotive
- On declared Fire Danger Rating days of EXTREME or CODE RED in the Central Zone or the whole state of Victoria, Puffing Billy Railway will close with NO trains running. In this instance, the operator will notify you of the cancellation by email and/or phone as soon as possible
- Should the operator be unable to run the train that you’ve booked, they will endeavour to transfer your booking to another date, however if this is not possible, a full refund will be given. In this instance, the operator will notify you of the cancellation by email and/or phone as soon as possible
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present it on day of the
experience. We also accept digital copies presented on a mobile device.
- Availability was accurate at the time of booking, however, is subject to change due to circumstances out of our control
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- We strongly suggest reconfirming your booking with the tour operator within 24 hours of making your booking and prior to making other travel arrangements
- If you are travelling in a wheelchair, there are limited wheelchair spaces available onboard our heritage carriages. Please call Puffing Billy’s Customer Service Centre prior to travelling so that we can assist you in accommodating your needs.
- Whilst every attempt is made to honour all bookings, PBR reserves the right to alter menu, events, timetables or locomotives without prior notice. Where selected advertised items cannot be secured or are out of stock, an item close to the original product will be provided